A complaint letter is a formal document that is written to express dissatisfaction with a product or situation, or to criticise a person or higher authority. It is a means of communicating your opinion and feedback in a manner that is neither meant to insult nor threaten a company or person. It is important to bear this in mind when thinking about your complaint letter format in order to convey your criticism in the most appropriate way.
In addition to this, some English language tests require you to know about writing a complaint letter for an exam, although this reason is less common than the aforementioned.
Complaint Letter Basics
To be able to successfully construct your complaint letter format, you have to be clear on the main reasons on why write a complaint letter in the first place and what message you want to convey by doing so. Once you know your reason for writing the complaint letter, you can then figure out what is the best way on how to make your complaint and then begin writing. There are many options to choose from depending on who the complaint letter is aimed at, so take your time to organise your thoughts.
- What is a Complaint Letter?
- Why Write a Complaint Letter?
- Writing a Complaint Letter for an Exam
- How to Make a Complaint Letter
Complaint Letter Content
Writing a complaint letter without coming across angry or threatening can be difficult, so it is important to understand what is the appropriate language to use. Your aim should be to convey your critique in a calm tone that will make the reader want to solve the problem and perhaps even respond to your complaint letter.
- Complaint Letter Format
- Writing a Complaint Letter for Different Audiences
- Complaint Letter Response
- Complaint Letter Advice
Sample Complaint Letters
- Complaint Letter About a Product Example
- Complaint Letter Poor Customer Service Sample
- Complaint Letter to Landlord Concerning Noise Sample
- Complaint Letter About Coworker Sample
- Complaint Letter for an Exam Sample
- Complaint Letter Response Example Accepting
- Complaint Letter Response Example Rejecting