A formal letter is a piece of text you might write for several different occasions. Generally speaking, it will be a typed and printed letter for a purpose that requires a more official form of communication. Within formal letters there are certain things to avoid, such as the use of contractions or colloquial vocabulary.
The category of formal letters is broad and will encompass more specific subcategories. For example, an invitation letter, a resignation letter or a complaint letter can all by types of formal letter.
Formal Letter Basics
Because a formal letter can refer to many different things, it is important that you are clear on this and understand all the different possibilities. The information below will provide you with further information about a formal letter so that you can then begin to write one if you need.
- What is a Formal Letter
- Formal Letter Email
- Formal Letter vs Informal Letter
- Business Letter vs Formal Letter
- Different Types of Formal Letter
Formal Letter Format
If you want to write a formal letter then you need to know about the layout, how to open and close the letter, what not to say and how it should be presented. Have a look through our pages in order to write a correct formal letter.
- How to Write a Formal Letter
- How to Write a Formal Email
- Formal Letter Vocabulary
- Formal Letter Rules
Formal Letter Samples
- Formal Invitation Letter for Lunch Sample
- Formal Thank You Letter Email Template
- Formal Letter Apology Template
- Formal Business Letter Template
- Formal Letter Email Sample
- Formal Letter to Teacher Sample
- Formal Request Letter